Tuesday, May 8, 2012

No Sleep Till Success

Holy cannoli have I been a busy beaver. By the way, that opening statement was me trying to swear less. Mission somewhat accomplished at the cost of my own dignity.

Anyways, life's been jam-packed. I moved into an apartment a little closer to downtown Portland so that I can guarantee myself a more interesting summer. Then the day we were suppose to move in, we show up and the tenant currently occupying our rooms was just beginning to bring empty boxes up to start packing; leaving us in limbo with what to do. Of course, I did what any person expected from me... I went out for wings and beer to calm myself down.

It did the trick.

We put our sheets back on our former beds and gave the tenant another day. Then the next day, we return around 12pm to find out that the guy has barely even started packing. At this point I have no idea what to do. I don't want to call the cops but at the same time I have the sudden urge to chuck an older man out from a 3 story high window. Once again, I refrain. The guy says he'll be out by 4:00pm so we once again leave for calming beers.

4 o' clock comes, and the man is no where to be found. The only things missing from the apartment are a few boxes and the dining room table. The place is still filthy and covered with his stuff. At this point I have to sit.

I sit some more...

He finally comes back acting all apologetic with excuses up the wazoo because he doesn't want to get the popo involved. Neither do we so he's got us there. We come to the conclusion that we're just going to have to sit and watch him and his crew of flunkies empty out this apartment. So we did. 5 hours later, we finally have our apartment. It looks disgusting and needs a complete makeover, but dammit we have it.

Then 2 days later and barely enough time to clean/unpack I'm running around Portland, ME for an episode of MSN's "re:discover". I had a great time and learned a lot more about the area but the 12 hour work days and considerable amount of stress can really get to a man. Luckily I had the day of Cinco de Mayo to collect myself a bit and get back to conquer the last 2 days of shooting.

But what really brings me down is the fact that I should be starting another lengthy production job right now. I had to make an extremely hard decision on a 2 month shoot down in Manchester, NH. I was in contact with Leftfield Pictures who will be in the area working on a show for the National Geographic Channel and we were close to a deal for me to help them out but I had to decline. It might have been the hardest thing to do just because I was so interested in the content and what the company has done in the past. It was just really bad timing for me professionally but the individuals I talked to over there were great and I hope to work with them down the road. Best of luck.

So now I'm here. Back at the desk with some interesting stuff coming up but still in search of something beyond that.

Something greater.

But on an optimistic note, I'm looking forward to another summer in Portland, ME with my friends and the awesome scenery that I've grown to love. If last summer was the best I've had my entire life, then this one is definitely looking to surpass that by a huge margin. I'll get into the details of that in a later post. But for now...


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK


Beastie Boys
"No Sleep Till Brooklyn"
R.I.P
MCA

No comments:

Post a Comment