Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let's talk politics...

If you know me well then you know how much I hate getting into political debates. My family tree is crammed with multiple politicians so I let them do all the talking, and to be honest, I usually have no urge to even step anywhere near the topic. So for me to go on a politically inspired rant takes a bit of push. So let's cut to the chase and get to exactly what is bothering me: I can't understand why anyone would think that we should be jubilant over the outcome of the Iraq war.

To begin things, let's figure out our primary objective. Well I first thought we were over there because Iraq was a potential yet unproven threat and we had to eliminate the weapons of mass destruction. In fact, that's all we talked about... until we never found any. So naturally rumors started to spread that the main objective was collecting oil, but sadly my stolen barrel has yet to be delivered to me. And there has always been that underlying goal of taking out Saddam, which thankfully we accomplished... almost exactly 8 years ago. So now it's become about making sure the Iraqi people have a new democratic nation so that they can live better lives etc. etc.

Well, let's hear what the people have to say:

"The Americans are leaving behind them a destroyed country," said Mariam Khazim of Sadr City. "The Americans did not leave modern schools or big factories behind them. Instead, they left thousands of widows and orphans."

So what exactly did we accomplish? The war has kicked our economy in the groin, no one feels any safer, and the people of Iraq aren't even happy with the outcome. Hell, there's a chance we've even inspired a whole new batch of children who are going to develop into the new replacements for the American-hating Hussein family.

Don't get me wrong, bringing troops home is exactly what I want. But it's not too much to get excited about when the war in the Osama-less nation of Afghanistan rages on. And shouldn't we have something to show for the 4,487 American soldiers who gave their lives to this country to defend this "cause" in Iraq?

Maybe it's a little too early, but as of now I don't see anything. All I see is mistakes that mirror America's tainted past.

Goooooood morning Afghanistaaaaaaan!

TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
Charles Hamilton
"November 10th"
Don't take a day for granted, granted
Every single day you been handed, can get
Crazy but you need to manage
And it's how God's see's you're the last man standing
Live everyday like it's your birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment