Friday, June 29, 2012

Best Comedy Series on Netflix

Well I might as well keep it going with my most popular blog series to date: The Best of Netflix. It's also my only "blog series" to date... but whatever.

As we all know by now, I love the Netflix. I haven't paid for cable in over a year despite the fact that I've worked on a handful of shows that appear on it. For some reason, I feel more motivated to watch the hidden gems that are picked by some sort of higher power for $7.99 a month.

And within these hidden gems are plenty of TV comedies that will tickle your funny bone. And yes, I apologize for using "tickle your funny bone". But let's just cut to the chase...

First a disclaimer: This list will be biased towards my weird sense of humor. So sorry in advance:


The Top 10 Comedy Shows on Netflix:

10. The Whitest Kids U' Know  - Season 5
An acquired taste, but once it's acquired, you can't turn away. Some of the sketches miss their mark, but most are hilarious and can really draw the viewer in with the ridiculousness of the material. Exhibit A:
9. Reno 911! - Season 1-6
Speaking of acquired tastes, this one is another. I never fell in love with the show, but its got that drawing power that sucks you in without you even knowing. The characters are great but some could have used a little more work. Still worth watching.

8. That 70's Show - Season 1-8
The seasons have their ups and downs, and whenever a character leaves, we're left with a giant hole in the comedy, but the show still holds up. How That 70's Show not be special when just about every main character has gone on to have very successful careers?

7. How I Met Your Mother - Season 1-6
This is the type of show where you have to pick your poison. Some characters are awesome and over-the-top (Barney), while others are lame yet awkwardly familiar (Ted). Plus you can learn a lot from watching HIMYM:
6. Blue Mountain State - Season 1-3
You know what sucks? When you get really invested into a show right after it gets canned. That's what happened here for me. The show is hilarious and so over-the-top that its hard not to like. Plus the main cast really brings it. Especially "Thad".

5. Trailer Park Boys - Season 1-7
Most Americans have their own interesting opinions on our Canadian friends up north, but this show will completely reverse any stereotype your mind has adapted. The story is so simple: Sell weed and figure out a way to get rich in a trailer park.Yet it's way more than that. Plus, there's Ricky:
4. Workaholics - Season 1
Oooh I LIKE thaat! After just the first episode, I fell in love with every individual who had a role with producing this show. My one problem is that only the 1st season is available while the 3rd season is playing on Comedy Central right now. I had to walk to my local Bull Moose and pick up the 2nd season before I fell too far behind. Still totally worth it.

3. Louie - Season 1-2
The best written show of the bunch. Louis CK is the George Carlin of this age, and I say that as a huge fan of Carlin's work. Smart humor with plenty of stupidity to keep people like me happy. Plus, this show actually makes you think every once in a while... but who wants to think?

2. The League - Season 1-2
FX is killing it. 2 of my top 3 shows are on the network, and if I had my way, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Wilfred would be on Netflix as well. But to explain this selection, let me say one thing... Shiva Kamini Soma Kandarkram!
1. Chappelle's Show - Season 1-3
Did you expect any other show to be in this spot? There has never been a man that has spit more annoyingly quotable lines from his mouth in a 3 year span than Dave Chappelle. Hell, I could have made this list just about my personal favorite quotes (which actually might have to happen). I think everyone would agree with me when I say this show was legendary.

And there you have it. Another reason for TV fanatics to hate me. But hey, I'm only human and can't watch everything Netflix has to offer. So here's another 10 shows that I tried but didn't watch enough to really get into:

Parks and Recreation
Arrested Development
Peep Show
The IT Crowd
Spaced
30 Rock
The Office
My Name is Earl
Malcolm in the Middle

The Hard Times of RJ Berger

Happy watching people.

9/13/12 UPDATE
Immediately after writing this post, I became hardcore invested into Arrested Development, which makes me think this list needs an update. Whitest Kids U Know should be dropped and I'd place Arrested Development up at number 2 just because it's the best written comedy series on Netflix PERIOD. I seriously can't wait for the upcoming renewal as well as a future movie.
- Eddie


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
 
Zion I & The Grouch
"Leader"
They say there's too many
cooks in the kitchen.
Well I rather be one of
them than some of chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment