Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Upcoming Horror Movies 2012

Maybe this is a little premature. Halloween is still over a month and a half away, but that shouldn't stop anyone from becoming overly excited for horror film season. I've been so busy with my freelance work that I've had no time to catch up on the abundance of trailers released for these possibly disgustingly terrifying gems. So join me as I watch each trailer and give my completely biased prediction on the overall product.


The Possession (Aug. 31st)
Alright, this is one I already knew about due to the horror legend Sam Raimi's (Evil Dead, Drag Me to Hell) involvement. I'm not too excited about it because it doesn't stand out from the pack. Does the line "Based on a True Story" still affect movie goers? It looks very mainstream and I just can't get behind the story. I'll most likely be passing.

[REC] 3: Genesis (Sept. 7th)
Ya gotta go with the red band trailer, baby. I haven't seen any of the previous installments so I'm going into this one completely dry and unaware of what the hell is going on. I assume a wedding attacked by zombies? Some of which is caught on tape? I can dig it. Plus a bride running with a chainsaw is always a great selling point.

Resident Evil: Retribution (Sept. 14th)
Do these films even classify as horror anymore? I always saw them in more of an action/thriller light. But I was frightened by the video games growing up so I have no choice but to include it. I haven't seen the 3rd or 4th installments of the Resident Evil franchise so I might need a bit of catching up to do before I turn this one on... speaking of turning on... hello Milla Jovovich (yeah I went there).

Bait 3D (Sept. 14th)
Turns out sharks have been waiting for one good tsunami so that they can finally launch a surprise terrorist attack on our unsuspecting nation. Exquisite cheap fun in my book. I wouldn't watch this expecting a highly tuned story or a great suspenseful ending. I'm only here for sharks ripping up everything in sight... especially tiny toy dogs. Terrible staight-to-DVD goodness.

House at the End of the Street (Sept. 21st)
Uh-oh, this trailer starts with a PG-13 rating. It's already off to a bad start. There is nothing here that really encourages me to see it. I'm not really sure if the film goes backwards due to the scenes in reverse or if it's just an editing tactic for the trailer. It does have potential though. I'd wait until reading a few reviews before heading into the theaters for this one.

The Hole (Sept. 28th)
How can I say anything bad about Joe Dante? He's the director of one of my childhood favorites: Gremlins. Well, this film premiered back in 2009 so I was a little hesitant to add it but since it will have a limited release in the United State this month, I have to include it. I've heard some good things despite the strange pace of the trailer. Feels more like a horror film for kids, but that's not necessarily a negative thing.

Hold Your Breath (Oct. 5th)
I really cannot tell if this is a purposely crappy, campy movie or a serious attempt at horror. If it's going for crappy and campy, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I have absolutely no interest.

Sinister (Oct. 5th)
This. Looks. Great. Films based around home movies are all the rage right now so you can't blame this film for going down a similar route. But I love how the home movies are just a key element within an actual film instead of relying on the "found footage" to become the film. This one is definitely on my to-watch-list.

V/H/S (Oct. 5th)
I stumbled upon this trailer about 2 months ago and I've been excited ever since. We're not going to be able to escape the "found footage" sub-genre of horror so we might as well learn to live with it. This film has potential to take it to a new level. You can already watch it online, but I'll be waiting for the theater treatment.

Smiley (Oct. 11th)
This one has been creating some buzz online. I mean, look at that disgusting dude's face. Sadly, it's only a mask. But what's more terrifying than being pursued by a psychotic killer who's sadistically smiling the entire time he's chasing you? I've had many nightmares that follow this synopsis. Gives me goosebumps. (Speaking of Goosebumps, where's my Goosebumps: The Movie?!)

Grave Encounters 2 (Oct. 12th)
This one flew underneath my radar until I did a little bit of research for this post. I love the first one. If you're an Eddie B!og devotee, then you might remember me praising that film a year ago. Sadly, this one is going down the easy-to-screw-up Scooby Doo route (Let's investigate it, gang!), but I'll still be looking forward to the finished product.

ABC's of Death (Oct. 19th)
This is beyond cool. I really wish I could have somehow participated with the upbringing of this anthology. This doesn't really serve as a film but instead as a collection of current horror enthusiasts. I expect a really elaborate film with stories that range from frantically funny to downright disturbing.

Paranormal Activity 4 (Oct. 19th)
Yeah, I assume you've heard of this one. A lot of horror fanatics hate what these films have done to the genre but I for one would much rather see a Paranormal Activity film than another Ringu (The Ring) ripoff. I don't find that style scary nor do I find it worth my time. The Paranormal Activity films are great for a quick scare. The pace always leaves you uneasy and waiting for the next bump despite the fact that these films stick to the same exact formula. I'll see it.

Citadel (Oct. 26th)
It looks unique so it has my attention. I've always been the type of guy who hates the use of children as the antagonist in horror films. I just don't find children scary (unless someone tells me I'm about the become a father). BUT ... feral children?! That's something I don't mess around with.

Silent Hill: Revelation (Oct. 26th)
What's with horror films based on video games using the prefix "Re-" in their titles? Does "Re-" make a movie cooler? Anyways, I'm not impressed. Hopefully all this 3D mumbo jumbo can help the film actually make a profit. I've seen some clips from the first film but wasn't interested enough to watch it the whole way through. I played the original game a long time ago but these films look nothing like it. But this one has a chance to be a sleeper.


Did I miss any films? If so, please let me know so I can check them out. I'm always looking for my new favorite horror film so keep me posted with any diamonds you might find. Also, stay tuned because in October I'll be giving my updated "Best Horror Films on Netflix", which I'm very excited for. If you're interested, here's the list from 2011: Top 10 Horror Films on Netflix.

Tis the season to be scary.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK

Mumford & Sons
"I Will Wait"
So I'll be bold
As well as strong
And use my head alongside my heart
So take my flesh
And fix my eyes
That tethered mind free from the lies

No comments:

Post a Comment