Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Horror Films on Netflix 2012 (Part 1)

Ladies and gentlemen, it's officially October, which means I've gone horror movie crazy. We're already 3 days in and I'm 3 films deep with a whole list of potential Netflix gems that will keep my mind satisfied until Halloween. And as long as my freelance work doesn't pick up again (looking like it might), I'll be updating this blog regularly throughout the month with reviews and suggestions.

So lets start this bucket of filth off right. The first few days I've decided to ease myself into the process with movies that aren't the scariest or best, but definitely have their perks.You'll see what I'm talking about...

October 1st: Fido (2007)
A Zombie War that ends with Zombies enslaved as the humans' servants? What an interesting Canadian film. I love the concept and alternate 1950's timeline, but I thought the Cinematographer could have done a better job of imitating the filmmaking style of the 50's. I'm not saying it was bad in any way. It's just the music, acting, and writing all fit the content but the cinematography, minus the opening shown above, just didn't do the same for me. Still a great satire on American values and the media with enough zombie fun to please most enthusiasts. Wait a minute... isn't that Trinity from The Matrix???
RATING:

October 2nd: Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
"What are you gonna do, knock my block off?!" Let me explain my mindset throughout the film. First I started with some laughter for the horrible writing/acting and ridiculousity [new word alert] of everything. Then there was a bunch of "WTF's" let out during certain scenes. My laughter would dissipate... and I slowly dozed off ... I woke up for the not-so-climatic ending and with a negative impression stained to my mind. On a positive note, the clown costumes were incredible for the time. And according to the directors, they're planning a sequel next year. Will I watch it? ...Eh, why not? "Damn". 
RATING:

October 3rd: Dead Snow (2009)
Well if this doesn't make you want to play a round of Call of Duty: Nazi Zombies then I don't know what will. Basically a Norwegian Friday the 13th installment, but instead of the young, horny campers being terrorized by an undead Jason Voorhees on Camp Crystal Lake (or in Space... ugggh), they're attacked by an undead army of Nazis in the snowy mountains of Norway. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Ridiculous at times, but that was expected. I wasn't too excited about having to read subtitles for 88 minutes, but the actors do a great job of carrying the film despite the language barrier. Thoroughly enjoyed.
RATING:

Well that be alls I got so far. And just so you can have a sneak peak of what's in store, here's some of the films that made it to this month's Queue:

Atrocious
The Burning
Candyman
Children of the Corn
Creepshow 2
The Faculty
The Fog
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Host
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Land of the Dead
The Last Exorcism
Poltergeist II
The Prince of Darkness
Santa Sangre
The Sentinel (1977)
Session 9

As you can see, I've really dropped the ball by never seeing some mandatory cult hits (Candyman, Children of the Corn, The Fog). I've also fallen behind on the foreign horror scene, which is some of the best right now. And note the lack of Human Centipede films. Take that for what it's worth. Oh, and I might as well keep this month's "Tasty Track's" consistent with content...


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
 
The Misfits
"Halloween"
Bonfires burning bright
Pumpkin faces in the night
I remember halloween
Dead cats hanging from poles
Little dead are out in groves
I remember halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment