Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Horror Films on Netflix 2012 (Part 3)

And I'm back for 5 more films to quench your thirst for horror. [Insert rest of witty intro here] Don't forget to catch up with Part 1 & Part 2.

October 11th: Poltergeist II (1986)
I have to start by stating that the first Poltergeist is a personal favorite. That fact alone set the bar of expectation for this installment very high. It wasn't particularly bad; I just couldn't get behind some major details. The new Native American and evil cult leader characters were stereotypically goofy. They would have benefited from a darker feel that didn't make them look like such cartoon characters. Then again, these films were always made to be "Family Horror" so I guess we're stuck with this.
RATING:
 
October 12th: Nosferatu (1922)
Surprisingly creepy. Though this isn't because of excellent film making. Nosferatu is creepy because Max Schreck is naturally creepy. I know it's a classic and perhaps ahead of it's time, but I would have shown way less of the Nosferatu character. That way we can relate more to other major characters. More build-up would have gained Nosferatu a lot more mysticism and would make for a great reveal. Instead we get a few awkward scenes of Mr. Nosferatu walking slowly with his finger nails up. A lot of it seems like the director walked around a set saying "Ooooh, this place is creepy. Max should walk down these parts!" I'd give this film 5 stars due to it's impact on the horror genre, but I guess I must be in a bad mood or something. Sorry Nossy...
RATING:
 
October 13th: Hellraiser (1987)
Hellraiser gives goosebumps. No comedy, just a lot of dark, twisted horror. Something a lot of 80's horror films could have used. Not the best acting, but at this point, do we even expect great acting in horror films? I don't usually say this, but this is one of the few horror classics that could use a grand reboot. Pinhead has taken a backseat to Jason, Michael, and Freddy and has been mostly forgotten by today's youth. It's time to raise some hell.
RATING:

October 14th: Grave Encounters (2011)
Maybe it's because I've always wanted to work on a ghost hunting show, or maybe it's because I can relate to the whole "reality" TV production background. For whatever reason, I love this film more than I should. I'd be the first to say how much the horse has been beaten by "Blair Witch knockoffs", but it comes down to one question: Did your hair stand on the back of your neck? I'd have to answer that with a big "Yes". Sadly, these films don't have much replay value since the jumps are best when unexpected. In fact, the only replay value they really have is watching them with friends to see their reaction. Very "2 Girls, 1 Cup-esque". Gross, I know. But Grave Encounters does a fantastic job of taking it's viewers for a strange ride. Oh, and there's a sequel...
RATING:

October 15th: The Faculty (1998)
What do Frodo Baggins, Jean Grey, The Daily Show, Shooter McGavin, Hyde from That 70's Show, and Usher all have in common? They're all in this film. And I haven't even mentioned Josh Hartnett or Salma Hayek yet. This might be the strangest assortment of actors I've ever seen. The film is fun but in no way scary. A good way to describe it: Aliens invading the set of American Pie. If I wasn't so familiar with the entire cast, I might have lost all interest within the first 10 minutes. Luckily I get a kick out of seeing actors in a worse state.
RATING:


Yadda yadda yadda, witty witty witty. Bridge to Halloween music. End Scene.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
 
Marilyn Manson
"Sweet Dreams"
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment