Monday, November 5, 2012

Best Horror Movies on Netflix (2012)

Well I really dropped the ball on this one. I was trying to rate one Netflix streamed horror film a day during the month of October but fell off the bandwagon once work started to pick up. I hate leaving projects unfinished so I'm at least going to end this escapade with the promised list of the Top 10 horror films on Netflix.

If you're one of the 100+ [hey, that's not bad for an old post with zero advertising] who read my list from last year, then prepare for a completely different one. Many personal favorites vanished and have been replaced by classic, indie, and foreign films that are gems in their own sense. So ladies and gentlemen... let's piss ourselves: [how many readers did I lose with that one?]


10. The Burning (1981)
I didn't give this film a great rating, and I ripped into it a bit for the writing... but dammit I can't stop thinking about it. I had so much fun watching it just because of how campy it was. I have a list of other great films that are more deserving of this spot, but The Burning is the one that remains stamped to my brain.
Way to go, George Costanza
9. Hellraiser (1987)Disturbing. That's the best way to put this cult classic. The acting wasn't great, but luckily we have those demonoid looking things to keep us shaking. Freaky lookin' sons o' bitches. I never watched these films as a kid because I remember being terrified of the Pinhead character. Before I turned 10, I'd watch horror classics with the usual terrifying entities: Freddy, Michael, and Jason... but for some reason I always stayed away from Pinhead. Luckily my balls dropped [just lost a few more readers] and I was able to conquer it.

8. The House of the Devil (2009)
I fell hard for this film during the opening credits. The filmmakers did such a great job of masking the movie to look like it was created in the 80's. I couldn't stop myself from annoying the hell out of my roommates with compliments towards the tactics they used. Buuuut [yup there's always a but] there were many times I felt myself just infuriated with the stupidity of the characters. Then again, maybe that's the ultimate tip of the hat to 80's horror films... because the 80's were filled with moronic characters.

7. Dead Snow (2009)
Nazi Zombies & foul Norwegian dialogue.
Enough said.
 6. Red State (2011)
The story might be my favorite part. Because religious nuts terrify me, and this film exploits the hell out of that. The scenes showcasing John Goodman with the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms) were filled with questionable writing and a hidden agenda by the director, but I did my best to put that behind me and still enjoy the film. It starts off by trying to get you against extremists, then you find yourself hating the government, and finally you just hate everyone. It's almost like the writer/director couldn't make up his mind on who the bad guys really were. Wait... Kevin Smith did this?!

5. Insidious (2011)
Not the most original film on this list yet gets the job done... and then some. There's elements of Poltergeist sprinkled all over the finished product, but it's still filled with scares, twists, and drama to please most horror fanatics as well as a wider audience. Plus, it's one of those horror films that isn't filled with blood, guts, and sexual exploitation, which means you can terrify your whole family with it.

4. The Thing (1982)
The Thing drops 2 spots to #4. This doesn't mean I think any less of the film. It's just I watched a few films that had such an impact on me that I decided to place them a bit higher. Last year I wrote: "Absolutely love this film. So suspenseful yet holds back just to be a dick. Just to keep you on your toes." That is still my feeling.

3. Tucker & Dale Meet Evil (2010)
Not your traditional horror, but it's still greatness. Again, I have to emphasize the fact that I love the concept. Backwoods boys trying to have a fun time at their new cabin, while camping college kids mistake them for serial killers. I have nothing bad to say about it. This film would be even higher on my list if it was actually scary. Sadly, it stands as more of a comedy and spoof of classic slasher films.
Oopsie.
 2. Grave Encounters (2011)
"Jeez Eddie shut up already about this film"... I'm going to leave it at that. Just search my blog for the title of this movie and you'll understand why. I'm amazed no one has come up with a conspiracy theory that I'm actually one of The Vicious Brothers trying to market it...

1. The Evil Dead (1981) & 2: Dead By Dawn (1987)
Well here's a bit of cheating. Both of these films weren't streaming throughout the entire month of October. I was a little annoyed yet excited because the list was going to have a new film at the #1 spot, but The Evil Dead returned just to make sure no other film stole it. I included Evil Dead 2 as well even though it's the original that has always had a place in my goosebumps [does that even make sense?]. Also, why not take this chance to plug the upcoming remake? Sure, it won't come close to the original, but that won't stop me from at least trying to stay positive:


A list of horror films with no signs of Paranormal Activity, Saw, or Human Centipede. I proclaim this a triumph. But there were many great foreign films that I never got around to watching. They'll remain in my instant queau so maybe next year they'll make it in. If you want to check some of them out for yourself, here's 5 to give you a head start:

Dream Home (2010)
Kidnapped (2010)
Santa Sangre (1989)
The Host (2006)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2004)


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
 
TV on the Radio
"Wolf Like Me"
Now that we got gone for good
Writhing under your riding hood
Tell your gra'ma and your mama too
It's true
We're howling forever

No comments:

Post a Comment