Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Horror Films on Netflix 2012 (Part 2)


And here we go again with the next installment of Horror Films on Netflix 2012. If you missed the first part you can catch up by clicking here.

October 4th: The Fog (1980)
Who let that creepy old sailor near those kids? This has John Carpenter's fingerprints all over it from the feel to the pace. It doesn't even come within a stone's throw of the original Halloween but it still is efficient enough to get the scares that audiences desire. And I use "scares" loosely. I was never on the edge of my seat but the story was intriguing enough to keep me interested. Sadly, if John Carpenter wasn't the director/writer/music behind this film, I have a feeling that it would have been forgotten with time.
RATING:
October 5th: The Thing (1982)
Sorry to all the dog lovers for that video, but John Carpenter redeems himself with this instant classic. And no, I'm not talking about that new prequel. The original has such a suspenseful feel to it so you'll have no choice but to get involved with the story. You'll be teased with potential scares over and over again until you just can't take it anymore and develop anxiety. Last year I had The Thing ranked as the #2 horror film on Netflix. Maybe it'll take the #1 spot for this year???
RATING:

October 6th: Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)
Genius! While watching this film, I had the sudden urge to rip the concept off and do my own movie just for fun. I love the idea of having a friendly pair of rednecks who just want to enjoy their new vacation cabin in the woods but are terrorized by neighboring college kids due to stereotyping and a lot of bad luck. The action is ridiculous at times but you can't help but feel for these two backwoods boys as they go through this hilarious yet unrelenting ordeal.
RATING:

October 7th: Atrocious (2010)
Another one of those "Oh look! A camera! I should videotape everything until I die in the not so distant future!" kinds of movies ... except it's in Spanish. Very slow despite it having a short running time of 1 hour and 13 minutes. I understand why the filmmakers were spending so much time developing the vastness of the maze, but I found my interest getting just as lost as these characters. The payoff was decent though. It ends on a scary note but had nothing original to add to the popular "Oh look! A camera! I Should videotape everything until I die in the not so distant future!" sub-genre of horror. Official name?
RATING:

October 8th: The Burning (1981)
I got into this a lot more than I should have. My rating is based purely on how well the film was made, but if I factor in my love for 80's slasher films, it would be a little bit higher. I enjoyed the characters despite their goofiness. Plus, it has a young, less bald George Costanza. I would make some changes though. I would have trashed the story behind the burnt killer going to the hospital to ultimately turn into a psychopath when he kills a New York prostitute. Either advance his depth of character by showing more of his metamorphosis or keep it as an old campfire story. Or maybe turn the nerd into a schizophrenic, revengeful killer who is mistaken for the burnt man. But it's from the stereotypical 80's so we're stuck with a predictable Friday the 13th rip-off.
RATING:

October 9th: Trick 'r Treat (2007)
Well this sucks. Trick 'r Treat was just recently pulled from Netflix. I was prepared to go on a rant about how I've watched this film multiple times after my first viewing. Last October, I had it at #6 on my Top 10 Horror Films on Netflix, but now it's become my new favorite Halloween film. It's very entertaining and I can't get enough of it. I assume it'll be back streaming once Fear.net finishes it's 24 hour Halloween marathon of the film, but who knows. How bout we get that planned sequel out?!
RATING (despite disqualification):

October 10th: Creepshow (1982)
Not a film to scare, just entertain. The tagline almost gets it right when it proclaims Creepshow as "The Most Fun You'll Ever Have Being Scared". Basically what we have here is a horror anthology directed by the great George A. Romero with a screenplay from the just as great Stephen King. That makes it's easy to get behind despite it's real lack of horror. The entertainment factor hasn't stopped this film from becoming a lovable classic though. Plus appearances from Ted Danson & Leslie Nielsen can't hurt, right?
RATING:


Another installment of spooky thrills finished. Just 20 more films to go before we go ahead and make a Top 10 out of these bad boys on Halloween. In the meantime, here's another tune to keep your mind indulged with the spirit of Halloween.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
 
Rob Zombie
"Living Dead Girl"
Crawl on me
Sink into me
Die for me
Living Dead Girl
Blood on her skin
Dripping with Sin
Do it again
Living Dead Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment