Tuesday, October 4, 2011

That Silly F'n Dream

Where the hell are all these production job offers coming from? This is the third legitimate production crew to seek me out and offer me a production assistant job within the last few weeks. Just a few months ago I couldn't have seen myself in this position where I actually might have to turn something exciting down because I was just too busy.

Going into my senior year of college, if you asked me where I would be professionally after I graduated I would have stubbornly replied, "I really have no idea."  I had places I wanted to be, but no means of getting there. Now I feel like I at least have a clue. I'm even starting to think that I can make a run at something even greater. Something beyond what's proclaimed as "special".

Maybe I'm speaking a little too soon, but I'm starting to think that Portland isn't as film-dry as it appears to be. Yeah, I know all the companies that I've communicated with are based out of Los Angeles & New York, but for my age, this has been beyond exciting. Controlling all aspects of videography for an inspiring nonprofit organization and growing my portfolio rapidly, while also networking and assisting other crews who import their skills from other places.

It's been a great learning experience and I feel as if I've acquired more knowledge in the last 5 months than during my 4 years of being a college undergraduate. Would I call that a waste of money? Economically, yes, but if you factor in the experiences and friendships made, you couldn't put a price on college.

But at the end of the day, there's only one outcome that all this work is for. That silly fucking dream. Because really, I'm just cutting a few inches off from the 3,096 mile long strip of land between me and those nine goddamn white letters on some hill out west. Just can't wait until I can finally see them.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
For those who enjoy: Real hip hop & folk rock... what?
The Roots
"Dear God 2.0" (Feat. Monsters of Folk)
Such an amazing song. Here The Roots sample an already amazing song by Monsters of Folk (think Bright Eyes) and turn it into something even greater. Such a moving piece of music.

-If you like this then listen to "Say Please" by Monsters of Folk

No comments:

Post a Comment