Monday, October 17, 2011

There Goes My Hero

Wow. This is exactly what I love about this industry. Whenever you become apart of a crew where everything and everyone just clicks, the outcome is massively rewarding.

I just finished assisting a shoot in Kennebunk, ME for CNN Heroes and it was beyond perfection. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I showed up to Gooch's Beach (yes... it's actually called that).

All the talent had wet suits on and surf boards laid against the brick wall. I was immediately thrown into the mix running around doing whatever needed to ensure everything ran smoothly. I had to take off my shoes and roll up my pants as I now had to run through the waves in order to deliver equipment to the crew. Whatever it takes. I even donated my shirt right off my back to clean a lens. That's MVPA status.

The shoot included the most moving material I've ever dealt with. We followed a female hero who lost her husband due to war and was now connecting widows everywhere through the American Widow Project so that they can better cope with this grief of losing a loved one.

This group of widows were some of the funniest, most optimistic individuals I've ever met. They were constantly joking with the crew and each other while also remaining open about the pain they're going through; giving suggestions and comments for other widows with the same circumstances. It was a rare shoot that actually gave me no desire to wrap.
Releasing lanterns into the sky... and yes that's a horse
And the crew was awesome. A small group who was extremely experienced and open to teaching a young peasant like myself. I loved listening to their jokes and stories of past gigs. Yet I'm still intimidated to type their names into IMDB just because I feel it's going to be an encyclopedia of amazing material. I'd rather keep them off that high pedestal which my mind creates for these kinds of individuals.

But this wasn't the only shoot I helped wrap this weekend. I just ended a stint with Epoch Films on a 2-day commercial shoot for L.L.Bean. Just like with the CNN Heroes piece, every member of the crew was extremely professional and knowledgeable about their specific profession.

Sure, I think they could have cut the crew/agency in half and it may have been just as productive, but that goes for most shoots. If you have the money, you might as well put it to good use because I'd rather have too many individuals than not enough.

What really motivates me was meeting some of the local crew on both of these jobs. I've been slowly infiltrating the Maine film scene since graduation but I haven't been able to really communicate personally with these interesting professionals. After meeting some of these Mainahs, I have to admit I'm really impressed. The NY/LA contacts are always great, but it's good to know that there's reliable people right where you live.

After stumbling upon all these projects setting foot in Maine, I'm beginning to think relocation is not absolutely needed right now. At this point I have no idea where I'll be in just a few months, which I love. I adore a life filled with unpredictability because that's what makes a good script. And dammit, my life's becoming a detailed script. It's been flying by and opportunities have been knocking so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the writing process. Goofy I know, but it's the best I've got.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
For those who enjoy: Electronica
M.I.A.
"Meds and Feds"
Nothing too new but a tune on M.I.A.'s 2010 album Maya that was quickly forgotten about. I love the harshness of it and I'm hoping you'll bump this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment