Monday, September 12, 2011

Pursuit of Happiness

I'm going to get a little analytical for a bit. This is more for me than anyone else. I was going through my previous writings on my computer and found this one from January 5th, 2010 and it got me thinking again so I'm going to spin it more towards the beliefs I have now:

Alright, here's something I was pondering about. This constant urge we humans have for security. Here I am, looking at a house dog, and I'm wondering, why does she stay where her owner has placed her? How is she not sick of the same environment as well as the same plate of Iams Dog Food? How is she still here even when that front door is wide open and she has a real chance to see what exactly is out there for her?

Then I realize, that's what makes us humans so unique. We tend to have this consistent idea that there's always something better somewhere for us. And there always is, but do we ever find it? This leads to traveling and the changing of lifestyles because we are on a constant "Pursuit of Happiness". Yet upon arrival, there's always some sign of discomfort.

Birds migrate to survive, we migrate to find enjoyment. But no matter how much money we obtain or how great we have it, there's this familiar feeling that there's even better items out there sitting and waiting for us. And it's not just the search of wealth. Religion, a better social life, food, exercise, a distinguishable public title; all to enhance one's well being... but still we want more.

This is what leads me to believe that us humans weren't made to be completely satisfied. And to tell you the truth, I've come to the conclusion that we enjoy this feeling of being low. Why would there be any need for Lifetime/Hallmark movies? Because individuals still demand depression. I'd even say my best creativity stems from terrible moods. Because terrible moods get me thinking. Humans don't better their lives because they're content; humans better their lives because their minds start racing and they want something. No, they NEED something.

Is this necessarily a bad thing? Depends on your views really. I'd find the "perfect life" boring and unbearable. Like a film without any conflict; what's the point of watching?

This brings me to ask, "Why do we have so much interest in conflict?" Just look at modern American news. I can't go 5 minutes watching any news station without being brought down in some way. Stories of war, disease, poverty, rape, pollution, racism, murder, etc. Then it switches to the commercials, which are filled with prescription medications that "doctors" with obese wallets have determined we need to live this constructed, happier lifestyle. And we can't blame the media, because they're just following demand with an adequate supply. And demand is sky-high.

And if you've made it this far reading this, then you might have proven this idea to be right. If I was talking about how great the world is and how we're such a successful society, you would have switched to "funny cat videos" on YouTube a few paragraphs back. Instead you kept reading, even if you disagree with everything I've said, which is completely understandable because this is only my opinion through my own experiences. And no two individuals have the same experiences.

Woo, I'm done. I hope that didn't come off as a rant as it was more observational than anything. Now time to cool down.


TODAY'S TASTY TRACK
For those who enjoy: 80's Alternative Rock
The Smiths
"Ask"
I absolutely love this band. And this is my favorite song by this band that I love. It's really the lyrics that draw me in. Because shyness is nice, but shyness can certainly stop you from doing all the things in life you'd like to. SO STOP BEING SHY... and listen to this song.

-If you like this then listen to their song "This Charming Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment